Pssst: are you sure you're reading the article you were looking for? Angular 9.0.0 is about to be launched and we've compiled the new features and bug fixes in another article. Read it here.
And these days, new edition, Angular 6, is on its way, with a beta version being already get-at-able and release candidates anticipated.
Principal features of Angular 6 beta release
Angular 6 pursues focusing on becoming less bulky, more agile, and user-friendly. Expected characteristics comprise the following:
- The innovative procedure of associating the modules and services that allows integration of the context or dead-code elimination.
- Angular CLI that submits the instruction in order to upgrade the functions and coding structure. Another command will enable the coders to supplement the features more promptly; for example, they may begin with a Material Design app instead of a blank one. The same command also provides the possibility to transform the apps into progressive versions backing the switched off pages.
- Availability of CLI assistance of the libraries simultaneously with the coders able to select ng-package aimed for transcompilation of the libraries to Angular configuration or utilization of the Bazel instrument for creating libraries. Formerly, the coders needed to design and pack the libraries manually when they distributed the elements and services among different groups.
- The potentials are taken from the project of Angular Elements that wraps the elements in the same way as Custom Elements are packed in the Angular pack. Coming issuance of Angular 6 will enable the developers to pack Custom Elements for utilization in the apps of other vendors, even those using other frameworks than Angular.
- Assistance for the RxJS 6 library with decreasing dimensions of the bundle for regular applications.
- Availability of the tree-type element in the structure of Angular Material as well as in the Component Development Kit in order to facilitate maintenance of imaged tree architectures, like a range of pieces of data.
- The alternative, rearward-adaptable universal type aimed to maintain native elements.
Yet, it is declared that Ivy will be withdrawn from Angular 6 because of the complications of integration. Probably, it may be brought into again in the seventh version.
Few RCs for Angular 6 are planned for March 2018. However, the release to manufacturing has been postponed to the middle of spring.
How to get a beta version of Angular 6
The “going silver” of Angular 6 can be downloaded at GitHub or using the command
npm install -g @angular/cli@next
The characteristics of Angular 5
In fact, Angular 5, is just the 4th release since the first edition, AngularJS has been presented four years ago for the first time. The works on the creation of Angular 5 have taken more time than it was planned before. Therefore vendor has skipped new intermediate release due dates in autumn 2017.
The main Angular 5 characteristics comprise of:
- The accent on facilitating the construction of progressive applications, so they could be saved in the browser cache. The notion of progressive web applications, jointly created by Google and Mozilla, allows the production of the browser-related applications that suggests excellent, natural comprehension.
- The ability to improve building processes by tapping the code and removing the excessive coding elements, so the app will be more compact. This option is provided by the building optimization plugin that is essentially a CL instrument.
- The adaptability of the elements of Material Design with server-side rendering. Before that, the vendor has to eliminate several bugs.
- The channels for the multiple international figures, dates, and currencies have been established. This option provides the assimilation of browser characteristics and removes the need for i18n polyfill code.
- Availability of maintenance for Angular Universal State Transfer Application Programming Interface and DOM in order to distribute the code between server- and user-based forms of the app.
- The collector has been enhanced to maintain a gradual progressive collection. Essentially, the compiler is a conversion of TypeScript that increases the velocity of rebuilding.
- HTTP client has been upgraded.
- In order to eliminate the vast part of polyfills, the vendor has changed the ReflectiveInjector to the StaticInjector. Consequently, the dimension of the app is decreased.
- Various names became adaptable to the elements and instructions that are helpful when the user needs to shift, avoiding breaking change involvement.
- Availability of CLI 1.5 that is capable of delivering Angular 5 design automatically.
- In the case of Angular forms, the developers became able to start the process of validation and values upgrade using blur and submit functions. Thus, they haven’t to do the same thing at each individual entry.
- 5.5.2 version of the RxJS library became available that can be of use for removal of spillover effects during dividing Ні.the code and tree-shaking issues. Besides, RxJS started sharing the version with the help of ECMAScript modules, brought into automatically by the CLI of Angular.
- The router hooks were provided in order to monitor the router rounds starting from guard set off to the end of activating the process.
One more distinctive feature of Angular 5 is that there are no difficulties related to building source maps that lead to the undetermined cause of errors. Besides, most of Application Programming Interfaces that were objected to before have been eliminated.
Facilitating progressive web applications development with Angular 5
Until today, the maintenance of progressive web applications in Angular entailed the need for vast competence on the developer’s side. The creation of Angular 5 was aimed to facilitate the sustention of progressive web applications. According to Google, the company is in the middle of selecting the proper kit of defaults, so the default selection will suit the developers of web apps for all types of digital devices, including portable ones.
How it is possible to upgrade to Angular 5
The detailed instructions on updating Angular 5 are presented on GitHub.
Angular 6 is approaching
Similar to the previous version, Angular 6 is expected to become available in spring 2018 under the condition it wouldn’t be rescheduled. The vendor focuses on the statement that Angular 6 will follow the primary concepts of 5th release: it has to be simpler, quicker, and more compact. In the case of the 6th version, Google didn’t make specific structural changes, but instead, it has concentrated more on the improvement of the way of supplying the solution to the client.
The key benefits of Angular
At the very beginning, the main Angular advantages included dependency injection that is helpful for compiling data functions for apps as well as utilizing HTML templates for structuring the elements. Yet, as a result of Angular progress throughout all versions released, these features are still its strong suits. For instance, the coders still compile the elements with the help of the HTMP component, which associates with TypeScript code for each command section.
According to the vendor, the cause of Angular’s popularity is its standardized nature which provides the developers with each necessary tool or component they may need. Thus, they don’t need to waste their time to determine which specific library or the way of HTTP arrangement have to be selected.
The sequence of Angular’s releases
Angular 5 has been released on November 2017, putting versions 2 and 4 behind, in September and March 2017 accordingly. The third version has been omitted as the router had already arrived at the 4th version at the time when 3rd one was expected, so Angular 3 was just called Angular 4.
One more property of Angular 2, comparing to AngularJS, was a collector, located on half of the created code to the product, sent to the production app. The compiler systematizes the production of patterns-rendering. Therefore, the code is able to be processed at a terminal velocity. In addition, Angular 2 suggested a more comprehensible element structure and interaction with web elements.
In turn, Angular 4 has proposed View Engines enhancement and coding volume decrease. Version 4.3, derived from Angular 4 and released in the middle of 2017, delivered a more portable and simple library for the generation of HTTP inquiries. Moreover, Angular 4.3 provided a feature @.disabled to disconnect animation and advanced router round-course actions. After Angular 4 has been released, the animation was improved entailing better navigation of grown-up and child components when shifting throughout the pages.